In a sense I am trying to empty out my brain pan. I have a massive number of thoughts surging through my mind and feel a sense of relief when I can cast them out. So here I say, “Out damn thought!” or something to that effect, which is far less dramatic. Now unto the things inside my head:
- Watched the remake of Red Dawn last night. It was terrible. Like really poorly ended. They killed the protagonist at the end of his story arc for absolutely no reason as it advanced neither the plot nor the arc of any remaining character. Basically it threw a pall on the ending for no damn reason. Beyond that, the action was mediocre in styling and the film paled in general to its predecessor. If you want to remake something then the remake ought to not suck. Lately, they do. They really do.
- My kids are painfully obsessed with Fortnite. That would be the end of the conversation if the game wasn’t becoming so vastly popular–minecraft popular. This will only stimulate further merging of the build & shoot genre that will eventually expand to include the VR world. Once we get games like this on VR, its simply going to be how things are.
- How things are for me right now is… good. I’m happy and building towards life feeling better and better and making better decisions. I should knock on wood for saying this out loud, because I know the universe has a knack for kicking me in the teeth.
Writing is only important if you decide that it is. You also decide how important it is. I find writing to be excruciatingly important… in my mind… though I often overlook it in practice. I continue to put other things in front of the words, which is why the words are not nearly as prolific and I am not nearly as well read (both my reading and people reading me) as I expected to be at this point. Likewise, I always felt like I could develop worlds on a near weekly basis and enjoy that kind of work. It never came to pass.
So, where are we now? I am in a headspace where I recognize that I will never be the writer I was, but I believe the writer I will become is going to be awesome. The writer I am is not half bad himself… It comes down to accepting how important I make things and thus how important you make things in general. Our lives are built on the importance we allot to particular things. Finding out what matters and how much is key.
- Have players always become coaches at this breakneck speed? Every team I turn to has a former pro leading the charge. From Bobby Hurley to Kevin Ollie the coach experiment continues. I am fully aware the trend has been going for some time, but it is especially notable as of late.
- American Idol is back looking for that next fresh-faced Carrie Underwood story. Here is what ruined AI: The fans. At some point the fans decided what story they wanted to win vs. what singer they really wanted to see become a pop icon–an American Idol. They gotta backpedal and get it right. Something tells me they haven’t entirely figured that out yet.